"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
~Andrew A. Rooney

About Me

My photo
I'm a dog. Dog is good! I was born in 2007 on the day after Christmas, which makes me a late present... I live in Marin, California with my human daddy, Dan and human mummy, Angela. They wanted to adopt a rescue puppy and although they were pre-approved, the organization declined them at the last minute because they work (while also telling them that dogs are expensive to keep). Mummy and daddy were very sad but it all turned out for the best - we all got to rescue each other and they get to spend their hard earned money on me! I'm a lovable chap and enjoy swimming, snow, tennis balls, cuddling and having my tummy rubbed. Not necessarily in that order.

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~Roger Caras

Saturday, February 2, 2013

I've got the remedy!

Well my dog walker, Leigh, has recommended some wonderful holistic remedies to help me with the stress of my recent seizure. At first I thought she said that they came from the "Bark Flowers" but it turns out it is "Bach Flowers". 

There are 38 remedies and they were discovered in the 1920's and 1930's by Dr Edward Bach, a well-known bacteriologist, physician and pathologist. Each remedy is associated with a basic human emotion. Taking the remedy helps us overcome our fear and face it with courage. Apparently it works just as well for dogs! 

I'm taking one that has a few things in it:
  • Star of Bethlehem - This one is for "Burdens of grief, trauma and shock and their after-effects". This is the one to help me recover from the seizure I had.
  • Mimulus - This one is for: "Everyday fears of objects, people, circumstances; nervous anticipation of a coming event or situation". This one is to help me overcome my occasional fear of "things" and of other random on-coming dogs. You should see the way my fur sometimes raises along my spine!!
  • Larch - This one is for: "Low self-esteem, lacking in confidence..."This one goes along well with the Mimulus remedy. While I don't think I have a self-esteem issue, I do sometimes randomly bark and snap at another dog because I am afraid of it. My mantra is to strike first - like Jackie Chan - but Leigh says that is because I lack enough confidence in myself and I then mis-read the other dogs intentions and get caught in the "fight or flight" mode. She may have a point there....maybe....
The good news is that the drops have to come on a treat! Either 4 drops, 4 times a day or 8 drops, 2 times a day on a small treat. Either way is fine. Of course I would prefer 4 drops, 4 times a day - that is more treats!

If you are interested in learning more about the remedies for yourself or your dog, here is a link to a website with some brief information on Dr. Bach and the 38 Bach flower remedies. The Bach Remedy System

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a bone to pick with me? Throw it over!